Park Grand London Kensington is perfect for every guest to enjoy the sights and sounds of London. The stylish rooms are designed with the utmost attention and embellished with plentiful amenities including hi-speed complimentary Wi-Fi internet and Plasma TV. The hotel's contemporary restaurant and bar offers the perfect ambience for guests to unwind over a drink or home-cooked meal.
Just 150 metres from Earls Court Tube Station, Park Grand London Kensington is a 5-minute walk from the famous Museum Mile. It features free WiFi, stylish bedrooms and a restaurant. The elegant rooms at this 4-star hotel have luxury bathrooms with heated mirrors and free toiletries. Rooms also feature satellite TVs, tea/coffee facilities and a work desk. The property has a modern fitness centre and a 24-hour front desk. It also features multi-lingual staff and air conditioning throughout. With a contemporary theme, the spacious restaurant serves a varied menu and world wine list. The bar offers beverages and light snacks, and cooked or continental breakfasts are available daily. Situated just 1 mile from the Olympia London, Park Grand London Kensington is a 10-minute walk from glamorous Knightsbridge. The Royal Albert Hall is just a mile away.
Staff follow all safety protocols as directed by local authorities
Cashless payment available
Guests have the option to cancel any cleaning services for their accommodation during their stay
Physical distancing rules followed
Physical distancing in dining areas
First aid kit available
Shared stationery such as printed menus, magazines, pens, and paper removed
Hand sanitizer in guest accommodation and key areas
Food can be delivered to guest accommodation
Guest accommodation sealed after cleaning
Property is cleaned by professional cleaning companies
Screens or physical barriers placed between staff and guests in appropriate areas
All plates, cutlery, glasses and other tableware have been sanitized
Use of cleaning chemicals that are effective against Coronavirus
Guest accommodation is disinfected between stays
Linens, towels and laundry washed in accordance with local authority guidelines
Process in place to check health of guests
Front-desk/reception area services
24-hour front desk
Safety deposit box
VIP room facilities
Pools and wellness
Food & Drink
Food & Drink
Bath or shower
Safety deposit box
Interconnected room(s) available
Wardrobe or closet
Wake up service/Alarm clock
Towels/sheets (extra fee)
Bottle of water
Chocolate or cookies
Socket near the bed
Key card access
Wine or champagne
From 14:00 hours
Until 12:00 hours
Visa, American Express, Diners Club, Euro/Mastercard
Guests are required to show a photo identification and credit card upon check-in. Please note that all Special Requests are subject to availability and additional charges may apply. Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this property is taking steps to help protect the safety of guests and staff. Certain services and amenities may be reduced or unavailable as a result. Spa and gym facilities at this property are unavailable due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Payment Information (Multiple Bookings): If you make a reservation for 5 rooms or more, the hotel will charge your credit card with 25% of the total booking cost at the time of booking. This amount is non-refundable. The remaining 75% will be charged to your credit card 14 days before your arrival date. The credit card used to make the booking must be presented upon check-in. If the booking is made by a third party, please contact the property directly. Cancellation Policy (Multiple Bookings): If you make a reservation for 5 rooms or more, cancellations made less than 28 days before arrival will result in the hotel charging your credit card with the cost of the entire The credit card used to make the booking must be presented upon check-in. If the booking is made by a third party, please contact the property directly to make alternative arrangements. Cancellation Policy (Multiple Bookings): If you make a reservation for 9 rooms or more, cancellations made less than 28 days before arrival will result in the hotel charging your credit card with the cost of the entire reservation.
When booking more than 5 rooms, different policies and additional supplements may apply.
WiFi is available in public areas and is free of charge.
No parking available.
Pets are not allowed.
Children and Extra Bed Policy
All children are welcome.
One child under 3 years stays free of charge when using existing beds.
One child under 3 years stays free of charge in a child's cot/crib.
There is no capacity for extra beds in the room.
The maximum number of total guests in a room is 3.
The maximum number of children's cots/cribs in a room is 1.