Online check-in is check-in done via the Internet. It is an alternative to traditional check-in at the airport via the check-in desk.
It is always worth checking in online when it is available. With many airlines checking in at the airport may incur additional charges.
What is online check-in and why we should do it?
To take a seat on a plane, every passenger must have a boarding pass (the flight ticket itself does not entitle to boarding!), which is generated during the check-in. There are two ways to check in:
- Online – using the web form, then enter the required personal data, and after generating the boarding pass, print it and take it with you to the airport (for the details about online check-in, see further part of this article)
- At the airport - at the airline check-in counter or self-service check-in machine – then the boarding pass is printed by the airline’s employee or by the machine (you can learn more from the article about check-in at the airport)
Each passenger has one boarding pass filled out with data determined by the airline. What is more, the required data may vary, depending on the route, which is related to the visa requirement set by the country of arrival. Usually, at the check-in, we are required to give name, surname, type, number, and series of the travel document (ID card, passport), as well as additional data, such as the country and the date of the document’s issue and the expiration date.
It is important due to the fact that the compliance of data on the boarding pass and in travel document is checked during the security control. In case of any inconsistencies in the data, the passenger will be returned during the control. Also, during the check-in, the seats on the plane are allocated, and the information about the seat is included on the generated boarding pass.
Is it necessary to provide the personal data during the check-in? Yes. When booking a flight ticket, it is required to provide the passengers’ names, dates of births, and contact details. The boarding pass contains much more detailed information, which results from the applicable safety requirements.
In addition, during the period between the purchase of a flight ticket and the flight itself, the required data may change (e.g. the passport may expire, and a new document with a different series and number will be issued). Therefore, the check-in is carried out either before the flight or, in case of online check-in, activated a few days before the departure.
Note! Each passenger should have their own boarding pass, filled out with the required data and ID document that will confirm their consistency with the facts.
eSky.com check-in more easily
eSky.com offers their customers online check-in using their services. The check-in can be performed after receiving the ticket between 7 days and 6 hours before the scheduled flight with Ryanair, and with Wizz Air between 30 days and 6 hours before the scheduled flight.
The Online check-in link can be found in the email you will receive from eSky.com
Online check-in can be performed on our webpage. All the information regarding this process is sent to the passenger via email.
The message contains a special link, which takes the user to the online form. This document should be filled in with all the required details for all passengers. After submitting the form the passenger receives an email with confirmation of completing the check-in process and the boarding pass included in the attachment.
The boarding pass must be printed and taken to the airport, together with the identity card used for online check-in. The lack of print out will result in paying an extra charge and in extreme cases even refusal to board the plane.
I can’t check-in. What do I do?
- Check if you’re not attempting the online-check in too early or too late. If you’re flying with Wizz Air the link will be active between 30 days and 3 hours prior to the scheduled departure, and if your flight is with Ryanair – between 7 days and 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure.
- Check if you haven’t received a new departure schedule and a new check-in link.
- If the booking relates to a larger group, check in no more than a few passengers at the same time. If there are too many passengers, the session might expire while you are entering the details. This is related to the security of your data.
Changes after check-in
Passengers traveling with check-in baggage are still required to drop off their baggage at the bag drop desks at the airport.
- after completing the online check-in, changes to the ticket cannot be applied (with the exception of Ryanair, Wizz Air, Easy Jet airlines),
- All passengers need to have a printed copy of their boarding passes at the airport
- boarding passes can be printed in black and white
- each boarding pass has to be printed a separate page, single-sided
- All passengers need to carry the identification cards used for the online check-in with them